On this page you'll find some useful tips when preparing for removals. Our list is far from complete and if you would like to submit some of your own advice for others, do drop us a line!
Many of the removals tips are common sense but it is easy to forget some of the simple tasks whilst you are in the middle of negotiating a house move. We suggest you bookmark or print this page and keep as a handy reminder of some of the important things to remember.
Once you know you are moving...
- Create an inventory /list of belongings you will be moving to your new address.
- Contact Experts In Moving on 03 8015 8849 for a free no obligation quote.
- Separate items you no longer want and sell, give away or dispose of as necessary. Now is a great time to have a clear out!
- Book your removal and provide a provisional move out / move in date. Try to get this confirmed as early as possible from your broker/ real estate agents.
- Make sure you have notified everyone that you are moving including your home insurers, doctor, bank, utility companies, other insurers, any subscriptions and charities etc.
- Remember to cancel existing delivered items such as newspapers and milk.
- Arrange any storage you may require – We have secure storage depots available to rent.
- You may wish to redirect your mail to another address if goods are going in storage for a little while.
- Start packing and write content of the box , outside the box for easy unpacking later.
- Begin packing few weeks earlier if possible. It reduces stress and gives more time to have a proper clear out of unwanted items.
- Use bubblewrap /paper to wrap all of your glass, china and other breakables. Pack these fairly loosely and mark the boxes as 'FRAGILE'.
- Avoid using newspaper for inner wrapping of items as it can leave ink marks on items so it is best to use as outer wrapping only.
- Towels and old linen can also be used to cushion the items for extra protection.
- Avoid bin liners! These will more than likely split and spill their contents. Zipper bags can generally be easily sourced from discount shops and provide a much better way to store clothes, shoes and odds and ends.
- Ensure the bottoms of your boxes are properly taped and avoid flimsy cardboard.
- Do not make your boxes too heavy! For books and other heavy items, use smaller boxes or half fill with books and top up with lighter objects such as towels.
- Do fill your boxes as much as possible - this helps the boxes stay in shape during transportation.
- Concentrate on one room at a time and clearly label your box with room and contents.
- Keep out any items you are going to need between now and your move date!
- Separate your extremely important documents, jewellery etc. and consider transporting these in your car.
- For small appliances, if possible, pack into their original boxes and tape securely.
- Ensure you find and have ready transportation bolts for washing machines etc.
- Loosen handlebars on bikes if possible and cover chains and pedals.
- Protect large mirrors, paintings and artwork with cardboard.
- If possible, disassemble out furniture but remember to keep any nuts, bolts and screws safe and clearly labeled.
- Roll up rugs and secure with string or tape (to the underside).
- Empty any petrol from lawnmowers or other machinery and safely dispose of any other flammable or poisonous household products.